Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sushi-no

When I get out of the habit of posting, I really fall short apparently. OK, so here's another multi-day catch-up post.

Tuesday
I was back in the pool Tuesday morning, and we did some 25y sprints that really got me going. Started the day with the 300 warmups, then did some alternating laps of kicking and pull buoy. Then we did 10 x 25s on the 1-minute counter, where we'd rest on the wall until the minute remainder was up. Normally, I take it easy during this drill and try to balance exertion and time. Before we started though, coach said she wanted each length to be all-out. So I slammed each one.

The first length was like lightning (for me), in under 20 seconds. But I evened out and the rest were quick at about 20-25 seconds per, and coach was impressed by my consistency on speed. I was definitely winded after each, and able to go again on the minute. Nice sprints that provided an ego boost for the day. Then we did a few sets of this and that and wound up swimming about 0.8 mile, which was pretty good for the 45 minute session.

Then at lunch on Tuesday I went for a blistering ride, just over 10 miles on a 15.7 mph pace. The hills are getting flatter and distances seem shorter.

Wednesday
Yesterday morning, I started with an 11-mile ride in the morning, averaging 15.3 mph. A good quick ride to start the day. Then as I was getting ready for a noontime run, I got a call from school and needed to pickup one of the kids and spend some time at the doctor's. Leaving there, I stopped and got some sushi for a late lunch, and my wife brought me home a coffee as well. Then awhile later, she made sure I went out to do the run I missed at lunch.

I set out for a 4.5-mile run, with sushi and coffee gurgling away in my gut. It was not good. While sushi may be a good recovery food with its mix of lean proteins and simple carbs, it is a terrible pre-race food. The coffee probably wasn't helping either (no cream or sugar, just coffee...) I didn't puke anything on the side of the road, but I sure wanted to a couple times.

Today
This morning was back at swimming. Nothing special. 300 warmup, then 4 x 200s with sets of leg lifts/ab work out of the pool in between each set.

Talk to you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment