Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Catching up

I didn't post for a few days, so here's your catch-up on the past few days of workouts.

Friday
I ran a 5k in the morning, sneezing all the way. I didn't post because I planned to do a bike ride at lunch that day, but I didn't and then time just got away. It was a good run and nice start on the weekend.

Saturday and Sunday
Spent the bulk of each day in a truck driving to Detroit to pick up my new (old) motorcycle. No workouts, other than loading/unloading an 800-lbs. bike on Sunday morning and afternoon.

Monday
It was really hot, so I decided to get up early and start Memorial Day with a workout before it got too hot. Since it was an extra day off from work and I'd missed two straight days of workouts, I decided to do a land-based race-distance workout. I biked 16.2 miles and then did a 5k. Even at 6 a.m., it was hot. It was like a sauna out there. Steamy and blecch. I did the bike ride in an on-pace hour, and then was wiped out for the 5k. I walked more than I ran and felt exhausted. I was sweating through all my layers by midway through, and was happy to get into a cold tub when I finished. My legs were fine, and I wasn't out of breath. I think I'd set out with too few calories and that was multiplied by the heat to wear me down.

The important thing was that I did race distances and finished. July 8 could be just as hot and steamy as yesterday was, so it was a shot in the arm to put together a "full" brick and finish. I know with a few more calories and better hydration I would have felt stronger throughout the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment