Monday, May 21, 2012

40 (rounded up)

Saturday's long ride was great. Officially went 39.57 miles in three hours.

The best part of it was technical. I raised my seat height based on some things I've been reading about tri bikes and how they have higher seats for better aero positioning and better pedaling position for legs to use more hamstring and have energy in the quads left for the run. After pedaling almost constantly for three hours, when I got off the bike I could walk. (Possibly even have run...) I had no pain in my hips, and my legs didn't feel destroyed (yet). I was tired the rest of the day, but not limping. Nor was I crippled on Sunday's rest day.

I also discovered that the Glacial Drumlin Trail (where it's paved) and New Berlin Trail are very nice riding trails. It was a blast riding to Wauwatosa, and I'll have to do some summer rides to Milwaukee, maybe using the Hank Aaron Trail part of the way to go to a Brewers game...

Finally, the ride helped me bust through into a new number on the scale, one I can finally share. I'm finally back in the 250s, after many years away. The nice part of it is that it is due to being active and exercising, not counting carbs or having freeze-dried meal plans sent in the mail or anything else.

I've been watching my calories, trying to keep it at or under 2,000 each day (adjusting for exercise calories). On one day each week, my rest day from exercise, I don't count calories. I don't get crazy with the junk food that day though, . My hope is to be in the 240s by the time I do the tri in (gasp) seven weeks, and hopefully in the 230s or 220s by the half-marathon on Sept. 22.

I was down into the 230s about 7-8 years ago mainly through Atkins and no exercise. I was always around 205-210 in high school, then hit about 180 during boot camp. I went through the Navy around 195, and then started to put weight on quickly when I got out. I was around 240-250 most of college, and then started to gain again after getting married and when we had kids. (I should have been losing weight chasing them around...) I'm starting to get mad at myself reading this, seeing all the time I've let slip by.

But instead, I'm just going to put on a smile, see that I'm getting better, and look forward to the next workout: 3-4 miles at lunch today, and maybe a quick bike ride tonight.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome news! Just reading through the posts keeps me motivated to keep working out too. It's easier when you're training for something, which is why the half marathon will be a great motivator for you after the tri. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm posting this blog mainly for myself to stay accountable and to be able to reflect on the fitness journey when I need to, but to know others are getting something from what I say is awesome to know.

      Delete