Thursday, May 24, 2012

5.7 miles

I forgot to post yesterday, but it was still a good day for workouts. I did a 8.9-mile bike ride at lunch with one really steep hill. I was out for about 35 minutes for a 15 mph average.

Then about 5 p.m. I went out for a long run on a new route. I knew it would be longer than 4.5, my current longest run. Ended up being close to 5.7 miles. Did it in 1:07 for about 12-minute miles. The 4:1 ratio went well for awhile, but the last couple run portions included some extra walking leading into the walk portions. As much as I wanted to leg out each run section, I know I need to listen to my body once in awhile when it says it's tired. I knew that with it being a new longest distance, I shouldn't be hung up on a faster time as much as finishing strong.

I think I must have timed it right, because this morning's swim was a tough workout, but my legs and hips weren't dead at all. In fact, this morning's distance in the pool was the most we've done in about three weeks. And as an extra challenge, I went as long as I could doing freestyle to prove to myself that I could. I wound up only doing about 100 yards of breaststroke, and that was during the cool down.

All told, today's swimming was a 300 warmup, then 16 x 25s kicking (with fins) as fast as possible, with 15 seconds rest between, then 4 x 50s freestyle with 15 rest, 100 kick with fins, 4 x 50s free with 15 rest, 100 kick, 4 x 50s cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment