Monday, May 7, 2012

Brick 3 (and a 3:1 Monday)

Saturday's third brick wiped me out. I didn't plan the ride exactly, just a general route that wound up being 14.4 miles in an hour. I think the training plan only called for a 40-minute ride for this particular brick workout. When I started the 1-mile run after, I felt like I was running through jelly the whole time. I did the mile in 13:26. I think that if I did a brick with a longer run, the mile pace would pick up as my quads warmed up to the run and I hit a better stride.

The big hiccup of the brick came at about 30 minutes in when I reached down for my water bottle that wasn't there. It was right near a county road I could of just headed south on and been home in 10 minutes, but I decided to push on with the original route I had in my head, figuring it was only about another 20 minutes to home that way anyway. 30 minutes later, I was dropping off my bike, grabbing the bottle off the kitchen counter for a quick couple of drinks and then back out for the mile.

3:1 update
So yesterday was an off day, and I really did take off from exercise. We went to my parent's 45th anniversary Mass and a brunch after, where I stayed pretty lean on the menu. a bagel with less than 2 tbs cream cheese, with lox and herring and capers, OJ and some oatmeal. Oh, and a couple beers.

This morning, I went out for a 3-mile run, and i felt like hell. My right hip and left inside calf hurt most of the way, but I stayed true to each 3-minute run section. It's not easier than Friday was, but not harder either. I think I may stick to the 3:1 at least through next week before trying to get to the 4:1 ratio. I think more important will be picking up my pace a bit when running in general, more than changing the ratio.

Calorie update
And for the May calories-burned tally, the total right now (at six workouts and seven days into the month): 3,703 exercise cals. burned. I think hitting 9,000-plus by the end of the month is well within reach, if my math is correct ...

After a long weekend, it's swimming tomorrow !

No comments:

Post a Comment