Friday, July 15, 2011

Week 1 results, and a Trek

Checking in with my Wii Fit profile this morning marked seven consecutive days of weigh-ins and exercise. The Wii FIt has been great to not only help me keep thinking about moving more throughout the day, but snacking less and eating smarter (generally) so that the animated balance board/scale doesn't scold me.

I'm down 5 lbs., since last Saturday. I know that's a lot of water weight etc., etc., but still it's gone. I've done karate 3x this week and worked up a good sweat there twice, in addition to roughly 30-plus minutes of Wii Fit cardio, balance and yoga-type activity every day. It's been a good start. Only 51 more weeks until I'm 40.

Last night, I spent some time at my local bike shop in Whitewater at Quiet Hut Sports and talked with the owner about bikes and what I need, want and can afford right now. As of now, I'm looking at the Trek FX 7.3 or 7.5. The main difference between the two is sturdier derailleurs and a carbon-fiber fork on the 7.5. I'm weighing whether the $250 jump will significantly change the ride that I'd notice.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're shopping at an independent dealer for a bicycle. The ones sold at big box stores are fine for folks who won't be riding much. Since you're planning to put on some miles, you'll have a lot more fun with a good-quality bicycle. Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chad. It came down to spending money on a bicycle vs. a bicycle-shaped object, then spending on a bike company that still pays some workers in the U.S., and finally supporting a local businessman who is enthusiastic about what he does and will likely be there for me with tune-ups, adjustments, advice and more going forward.

    ReplyDelete