Friday, July 6, 2012

Holy crap

Just got done picking up my race packet and listening to the course talks and walk-throughs. After the swim talk, we were allowed to swim the course. I was astonishingly slow swimming in the open water. 


Swimming in a melee of people, the murky, warm water and plenty of weeds was way tougher than I would have guessed. I got kicked a few times, swallowed a bit of lake water and switched to (poor) breaststroke for most of the course. It probably took 20 long minutes to do the 450 yards. I just couldn't get my breathing even enough once I was shook up. 


I'm so glad I decided to go out tonight for the course talks and to do the swim trial. It would have been completely deflating, and possibly harmful, to get in the water with the full complement of other racers and combat the full race-day adrenaline ... only to discover how different the swimming can be from training. 


I never would have thought a year ago when this journey started that I'd be dreading the swim more than the run on Sunday. New plan of attack: Find a way to stay calm on the swim, use it as a warmup for the day and get out of the water safe and ready to crush the bike. 


I've said all along this one is about finishing, not time. (I only thought about times in my head, but never said anything.) Now, again, this one is about finishing it, savoring the full first tri experience and learning. 


There will be plenty of time later when I can start looking forward to the next race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment