Saturday, July 21, 2012

LD: 8

Today's long-distance run according to the 1/2-marathon training schedule was eight miles. This was my new longest run by 2.5 miles. It felt great mostly good.

Miles 1-4 were kind of a slog. Not sure if that was because it was so early, my bike ride was last night instead of in the morning, I was running with my new water belt the kids gave me for my birthday, I was listening to a podcast instead of music, I was subconsciously pacing myself for the new distance ... or all of the above. Mile 5 was a bit faster, and then Miles 6-7 were great. I could feel the endorphins infusing my system and felt like I might be home in a second (I'd also switched over to music). Mile 8 was ridiculously tough, but I think if I had been doing a nine-mile run today, Mile 9 would have been toughest, or Mile 10 and so on.

All told, I finished in about 1:48, or 13:30 miles. Much slower than where my general 5k pace has improved to, but I know that the LD days are not about time as much as distance. Today was about getting my body used to being out there for eight miles. It was a good run. And I was done by 8 a.m.

Rest of week
The rest of last week, I did a two-mile run on Wednesday at lunch, and then a 15-mile bike ride in the evening. Usual swimming on Thursday morning and then an 11-mile bike ride at lunch and Friday's 10.5-mile evening ride.

I seem to be back on track with double-workout days, and it showed on the scale today. I lost three pounds this week. I could be well into the 230s by Labor Day. I would love to be in the 220s by the 1/2 Marathon.

Coming up
I've got a rest day tomorrow, and then will try to hit double all next week. The next LD is 9.5 next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment