Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tightness

My hips and hamstrings are on day 3 of being tight. Really tight. Not cramped. Not achey. Just tight.

I blame running, the new addition to the equation. And I'm not going to change anything, because the tightness will go away and I'll keep exercising and getting fitter.

This morning's swim was pretty good. A 300yd warmup, then 100 yards with just a right fin and 100 yards with just a left. This was so the coach could fine tune some points on my freestyle. It was difficult and odd to swim unbalanced, but I think I improved some of how my hands are entering the water. Then we did 4 x 100s, with three sets of ab work poolside between sets. So not a lot of distance today, but good technique work.

Next week begins the specific 12-week training plan going into my birthday tri. Instead of mourning the end of my 30s though, I'm looking forward to my 40s and beyond.

(I really hope I can inspire my kids for life. Maybe if it's implanted somewhere in them how difficult this is getting back in shape, and how much fun I [intend to] have doing tri and other races every year, they won't ever let themselves get out of shape...)

With the start of the tri-specific program of swimming/running/biking/weights, I'm easing off the Wii Fit/EA Sports Active program to do just the training plan. I don't want to risk overtraining and getting a stupid injury. I've also put karate on hiatus, for financial and training reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment