Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Good news, good news ... bad news.

Got back yesterday from the trade show. While I was down there, I spent three days where I was on my feet walking or standing better than eight hours a day, but I managed to eat fairly balanced meals. I did not drink enough water to stay hydrated, though. I stayed away from alcohol, which is hard to do at these events. The best part was I got in two specific workouts. One morning I snuck into the pool, which had a lane for lap swimming, and did about 30 minutes (not sure how far, as the lane was definitely not 25 yards). Then on Sunday I went for an afternoon run and worked up a good sweat in just under 3 miles.

This morning was back at swimming and we did a 300 warmup followed by a timed 500. I did the 500 in 13:53. The last time she timed us was for a 400 (I don't remember how long ago), and my time that day was a 14:47. So, I've cut almost a minute off my time even adding 100 yards. Felt very good to hear.

Then it happened.

After the 500, we were set to 16 lengths @ 55 seconds per. On the second length, I was doing breast and felt pain/rubbing in my right shoulder. It was very similar to when I injured it a couple years ago weightlifting, and the bursa sac got inflamed and rubbed against some of the small bones (acromion?) by the joint. I took a lap off, and tried again doing a front crawl. It was OK on the up and over, but painful on the pulling part of the stroke underwater. I decided I better call it a day, get some ice, do some specific stretches for it today and tomorrow, and get back in Thursday.

I guess the good news following that is I know the stretches I need to do based on the physical therapy I got for it last time, and I can still run and bike with an achey shoulder.

(Crap.)

No comments:

Post a Comment