Thursday, June 14, 2012

Swim sprints

A fun new version of sprints at swimming this morning. After the 3 x 150s warmup, we did 25s on the clock. Instead of on a certain time per length by xx times, it was a steadily decreasing time per length, and we went to failure.

It started at 60 seconds for the first length, and then time per length decreased 1 second. I made it to 28 sprints before I was tired to continue. I was consistently near 25 seconds for the most part. Once the rest periods got under 10 seconds, I slowed considerably. I made the 28th length in time to do more, but I hit the wall part way in that last length where it was a struggle to finish.

I was breathing hard and, I think, sweating (despite being in the pool) by the end. The 150 of breaststroke to finish was a nice relaxing finish.

Today I also wore my tri suit in the pool for the first time. I've used it on some of my long bike rides because it's my only gear with some bike padding, and by default on some of my runs when I did bricks. It wasn't bad; I didn't notice any drag or feeling weighted down by the extra material soaking water or anything like that. I am curious now how long it will take to dry out on the bike ride, or if I will be pedaling with squish sounds for 16 miles.

Unfortunately, today was the third straight day of work deadlines kicking my butt, so there was no second workout at lunch or in the evening. In fact, I'm writing this at 9:30 at night, and I'm going to get back to work on one of my work stories right after this (hope to wrap it up by midnight and hit the sack without it weighing over my head unfinished). Then I can go out for a nice run first thing tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment