Friday, June 29, 2012

25 miles before 8 a.m.

I set my alarm and got up early enough to head out on the bike for a long ride before work today. I didn't know I was planning to, but I hit (almost) 25 miles in 90 minutes for a nice fast 16.2 mph average.

Whether on a run or bike ride, there is a beautiful simplicity in an out-and-back course. If you can get inside your head and keep saying, "just a bit further, then I'll turn back," every extra bit you go doubles. On a loop course, if you decide today's not a good day, you can cut it short and ride home on a shorter loop.

But today, I just kept pushing myself to go a little further until eventually the county road I was on dead-ended at another county road. That was the 12.25-mile mark, so it seemed like a good place to turn back.

----------
Lunchtime

It was cooled off by lunchtime today, so I went out and did a 5k (not into the wind). Decent time of about 35 minutes. More importantly, I went on a route I haven't run in awhile, and I noticed that I was running past places I used to stop for walk breaks. In fact, I ran the whole 5k except for about 30-40 yards when I stopped and crossed the road and headed back.

It was nice to have a day like today where it's so easy to notice the big differences in my body and endurance from just a few months ago. I'm really feeling some confidence for the tri.

No comments:

Post a Comment