Thursday, March 1, 2012

Not drowning

Swimming was awesome again today. Roughly 1,000 yards total over the 45 minutes. Today I went a length at a time with just a little rest at each wall, rather than full laps with longer rest. My cardio needs to build up as much as my stroke needs work.

The instructor had me working on lengthening my stroke and slowing my kicking down, which are essential for a longer swim. Apparently, I have more of a power-type sprinter's stroke and I try to move as quickly from wall to wall as possible. And it eats up oxygen like Cookie Monster on freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

One great note from today's session: At the end, when I was thoroughly tired and worn out, she had me do two last laps (four lengths) of any style, with no rest at the walls. I was able to do it (25 crawl, 25 backstroke, 50 breaststroke). I tried to switch back to front crawl on the last 25, but by body just wasn't into it. I swallowed a bunch of water and changed up mid-length to breaststroke again. But, I finished.

So, can't wait to get back in the water Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment