Saturday, February 23, 2013

New beginnings

So after a lot of personal upheaval, I'm settling into 2013 and just recently got signed up for two races, one in a few weeks and one that will be my priority training target for the first half of the year.

In a couple weeks, I will be running a 17k (10.5xxx miles?) on March 17 - St. Patrick's Day. This is my motivation to get started running again after many weeks off. I feel like I could go out and run 10 or 11 miles right now and do OK, but it will be better to build up to it with this race.

As to my priority race, on July 21, I will be running the Racine 1/2 Ironman. Starting that 12-week training program is right around the corner from St. Patty's, so after March 17 I'll need to start training so I can do ... the training. Finishing this race will be a huge step toward tackling a full Ironman tri by the time I'm 45.

Not to get too personal, but an added hurdle with training going forward will be scheduling around when I will have my kids. Rather than scheduling big bricks or long runs and rides on weekends, I will need to work them into every other weekends and early mornings or evenings when I'm free. I'm sure I'll get it figured.

Also this year, still planning to do the Brewers 1/2 marathon (2nd annual) in September, and maybe even a full marathon by November.

Coming soon, I'll be buying a road bike and a wetsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment